Title: Black Bottom Coconut Cream Pie I
Time: 45 Minutes
Recipe via: (like this recipe, www.ivillage.com has many more).
Categories: Desserts, Pie
Yield: 8 Servings
Black Bottom Coconut Cream Pie
10 ounces chocolate wafer cookies
1 tbsp sweet butter
2 tsp coconut extract
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
6 at room temperature (see topping option) egg white
1/4 optional, use to stabilize egg whites (see topping option) tsp cream of tartar
1/4 (see topping option) cup sugar
1 stick sweet butter
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 large egg
1 cup milk
1. To prepare Crust: In a food processor process cookies with sugar and stir in butter.
2. Press into bottom and sides of 9 inch pie plate. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. (crust will puff up a little)
3. To prepare Filling: Combine cornstarch, sugar, salt, and eggs in a medium sized,heavy bottomed saucepan (you can also do this in a double boiler or with a heat diffuser, you don't want to burn the custard, just start out cooking slowly). Place over medium heat and whisk in milk. Whisk or stir constantly over medium heat until custard thickens, about 10 minutes; custard will not run off the back of a spoon when done.
4. Remove from heat, whisk in butter, coconut extract and flaked coconut.
5. Pour filling into prepared crust. Cool completely before serving.
6. Topping Option: This recipe can also be topped with a layer of meringue and it makes for a lovely presentation. To make meringue, beat egg whites and tartar at high speed with mixer until foamy. Sprinkle in sugar and whip untill stiff. Stop before dry peaks form . Top pie with meringue. Bake at 375°F until meringue is golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.