Jessie Reed ... "Ziegfeld Girl." "the Most Beautiful of the Ziegfeld Beauties"
Mother to Actress, Showgirl Anna De Brow, although they really never spoke. Was a feature in 'the Passing Show of 1917', Doing Our Bit (1918) and Sinbad (1919). Danced in many Ziegfeld Follies starting in 1919, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923, the Ziegfeld Nine O'Clock Revue 1920, as well as the Midnight Frolics - Amsterdam rooftop in 1920. Was reported to be the highest paid showgirl in the profession by 1921. Supposedly plagued by the 'Ziegfeld curse' and in 1936 was acting as a hostess in a Chicago night club¹.
Known as a 'Gold Digger,' She married 5 times in all but all said she was a spoiled brat with an uncivil tongue and demanded way too high a maintenance, they all divorced her, sadly by 1935 she was alone, destitute, ill (stomach disorders²) and flat broke, dying of Pneumonia in a Chicago, Cook, Illinois Hospital³ at a young age of 42. She is buried at Mt. Olivet Cemetery.
Photo 1: Miss Reed is seen here in one of her risqué Ziegfeld costumes, complete with headdress.
- Birth Name: Jessie May Richardson (Richards)
- Birth Date: 1897-9/18/1940
- Birth Place: Houston, TX. USA.
- Married: Oliver 'Ollie' De Brow (Black Face Comedian) | ?Lou Reed? | William F. Young Jr.* | Dan Caswell (Millionaire) | Dan Renol
- Parents: Mr. Jessie Richards
- Clubs/Theaters: New Amsterdam Theatre (Roof) | Winter Garden Theatre |
- Florodora Girls Page
- Goldwyn Girls Page
- John Tiller Page
- Samual Roxy Page
- Ziegfeld Girls page