“Tboasted being “the largest and most famous dance
hall on the West Coast.”he largest and most famous dance
hall on the West Coast.” The "Palomar Ballroom"
was located at No. Vermont Avenue between 2nd and 3rd Street was
built in 1925 as the "El Patio Ballroom"
and later changed it's name to the "Rainbow
Gardens Ballroom," shortly after becoming known as
the Palomar Ballroom which featured a exotic Moorish decor.
Opening night in 1925 was attended by 20,000, including many of
Hollywood's silent screen stars of the day. The dance floor alone
could handle 4000 People. On August 21, 1935, Benny
Goodman began his first Palomar engagement that marked
the start of the Swing and Jitterbug
Era. (Note: his earlier stop at Sweet's Ballroom in Oakland,
CA. is more correct.)
burnt down in October 2, 1939 during intermission before the
last set of the night due to a electrical outlet, It was never
3440 West 2nd. Street,
Los Angeles, Ca. USA
showing the Palomar Ballroom:
- The Big Broadcast of 1937 (Paramount